Online mindfulness group for Teens.
Learn how to manage stress, anxiety, improve confidence and build a life of success and peace.
Support for Adolescents Ages 13-16
BENEFITS OF THE GET ZEN PROGRAM
- How to settle a busy mind
- Releasing anxiety
- Improved wellness
- Focusing and sustaining attention
- Learning to be aware of emotions and thoughts, and managing them skillfully
- Practicing compassion for others and oneself
- How to get along with others
- Building positive relationships with friends and family
- Developing important character traits such as resilience, empathy, and open-mindedness
Anxiety is very common in the pre-teen and teenage years. This is because adolescence is a time of emotional, physical and social change, which is happening at the same time as teenage brains are changing. Here are some sobering statistics. (CDC/PEW)
teens with anxiety disorders
Growth of depression in the past decade
Teens who say that they feel anxious on a daily basis.
Over three decades of research supports that mindfulness strategies and resilience training helps the emotional and cognitive functions of youth.
The vulnerability of adolescents who suffer with such; stress, anxiety, anger, depression, and emotional breakdown is a matter of great concern and urgent need. Studies in several countries and regions have reported higher prevalence of depression, stress, and anxiety in adolescents. Several studies have shown that mindfulness-based interventions have an ameliorative effect on both emotional disorders and psychological problems in adolescents.
Youth who are anxious or struggling but without a disorder or diagnosis, also benefit. Mindfulness is a way to help youth to prevent struggles, improve resilience and create a more peaceful inner world.
Why work with me?
While many therapists define themselves as a therapist who understands mindfulness, I define myself as a Buddhist (who honors her Christian and Jewish traditions) who happens to be a licensed therapist.
Inspiration and hope are key.
Many of my past clients who were once hesitant teens who walked away from sessions saying that it was one of the best times of their live.
Some of them were so inspired that they went on to become therapists, working with youth!
What to Expect
- Each session we will study skills and strategies, appropriate for this age group.
- Sessions meet every Friday night at 8pm Eastern Time, via Zoom, for 45-minutes each week.
- Attendees also will have that has dropbox links to worksheets, etc., for each month, if used.
- It is helpful to have access to a computer to print out worksheets but not required.
- An email will be sent out to the parent, monthly, who will then forward to the their teenager.
- Adults are not permitted to be on camera with the youth or interact with ANY other youth. Safety first.
- It is policy that attendees do not exchange any personally identifying information in the Zoom sessions; if it comes to my attention that you've asked someone in chat or elsewhere, with proof, you will be released from the program. Again, safety is paramount.
We dive into lessons on mindfulness, emotions, managing stress, handling overwhelm and exposure to media/news. Learning to build positive relationships with friends, family and even managing difficult relationships with ease, are explored.
The body is both connected to and distinct from the mind; lessons on relaxation, listening to and trusting the body, breath awareness and self-care are emphasized. Exploring how the body reacts and responds that might dictate behavior, is part of the somatic experience.
Fundamental life skills that include attentional ability, standing in confidence and emotional self-regulation that are critical for life success in social, emotional and academic lives, are also areas of education and practice.
While the group touches upon Buddhist Philosophy, Buddhism unto itself, in this frame, is inclusive. Meaning, all backgrounds are welcome and those backgrounds are embraced. Buddha is not worshipped or prayed "to", ever. Most of my child or adolescent clients attended Catholic or other Christian schools as that is the most prevalent religion in the United States.
If your child is in therapy- no, you should not replace your current therapy treatment plan with this program. While I have seen many youth in the past, I am not a designated child therapist and do not see children 1:1 unless they were a former client of mine.
While normally I do not record sessions, for safety I will be recording each session. If you do not want your child recorded, it is up to you to ensure that their camera stays off. Sessions are not shared and recording them otherwise is prohibited.
Being on camera is not needed for this program; that can be very vulnerable for some attendees. I request that first name ONLY is listed on the Zoom "name" area, and that teens do not exchange personally identifying information, for safety.
The program is a very affordable $27 per month. Because this is a subscription, there are no refunds but you may cancel at any time. The program is weekly, for 52 weeks, though I may need to reschedule or make up days due to unexpected emergencies. Attendance is encouraged by not mandatory, so attendees are able to pop in and out of sessions as they desire; this is to support, not pressure them. No one will ever feel left behind.
Weekly Mindfulness and Meditation
Get in Touch!